Enable public access
You can apply for a public IP address for your KCS instance to enable public access. The public IP address can be accessed from the Internet. You can then connect to the KCS instance from the Internet by using the public IP address. You can apply for and release public IP addresses for both primary/secondary instances and cluster instances. We recommend that you enable public access for a KCS instance only for database management and development purposes. When clients need to access the KCS instance for business purposes, the clients still need to access the instance by using the private IP address.
You can use this feature when your KEC instances and your KCS instances are in different regions or reside on different networks.
The public access feature for KCS and the network traffic generated during public access are all free of charge.
- Log in to the KCS console and click Instances in the left navigation pane.
- Find the instance for which you want to enable public access and click the name of the instance or Manage in the Actions column. The instance details page appears.
- In the Connection Information section, click Apply for Public IP Address.
- You can apply for a public IP address only when the instance has a password and the password is not empty. If Apply for Public IP Address is dimmed, set a password for the instance by following the on-screen instructions.
- Click OK in the Apply for Public IP Address dialog box.
- If you no longer need the public IP address, click Release Public IP Address next to the IP address to release it.
- When you release a public IP address, you can choose whether to also release the public IP addresses of the read-only instances associated with the primary/secondary instance.
- You can apply for and release a public IP address for a read-only replica separately.
- When you release a public IP address, the public port is released at the same time.
- The public IP address for a KCS instance takes effect after a minute or so. Then, you can access the KCS instance by using the public IP address and port.
- You must add the IP address of the client to the IP address whitelist of the KCS instance before you can connect to the KCS instance from the Internet. For more information, see Use security groups.